5/11/2014

Day 21



Easy afternoon, 5pm, class today with one of my favourite teachers. Seems like I've bounced back from the Friday morning low point and I am really pushing myself hard again. 90 minutes just flew by today and I wasn't even hot. My body has pretty much totally adjusted to 40 degrees C temperature by now. Dreading going to a future beach holiday anywhere with temperatures below 30 degrees as I might find it a bit chilly... 
Once out of the studio I floated back home and upon arrival realised that I'm NOT hungry. Hmmm? This has been happening over the last couple of days - I get home and feel like I do not want a big dinner. It's strange, because during the first two weeks of the challenge I have literally been demolishing the content of our fridge. Now, this has just stopped. The insatiable hunger has mysteriously disappeared. Instead, the mysterious cravings have appeared. So far, I have eaten an incredible amount of fresh radish, artichokes, coconut chunks, nuts and dried cherries. None of which featured much in my previous diet. Radish is by now a clear obsession. Having googled it today to check out its nutritional values, I was surprised to find out that it is full of potassium. Is this my body being really really clever and asking for what it needs as opposed to what looks good? Perplexed. 

In addition to what's already mentioned above, I'm off meat - red especially; totally off. This doesn't puzzle me so much as it happened before when I practiced 3 or 4 times a week. The final major change in my relationship to food is that I now prefer it raw-ish. Less processed - the better. So, during my today's google quest to try and find out what's happening to me I stumbled upon a concept of 'clean eating'. This in a nutshell is a lifestyle approach to food, basically striving to eat unprocessed stuff and consume food in its most natural state possible. Definitely something I can relate to right now. Anyhow I'd say that on the good days my family's diet is pretty clean already, but made a promise to myself to make it even cleaner and leaner. It helps that we have a great farmer's market on our doorstep every weekend and can load up with fresh, organic produce on a regular basis. If you are interested in clean eating have a look at these rules - '10 Rules of Clean Eating'. Thanks to the rule 3 below, I'll never view the supermarkets in the same way again...

/ Shop The Perimeter Of The Grocery Store
Every store is different, but as a general rule, the periphery is the natural habitat of the fresh vegetable, meat market, whole-grain baked goods, and the nuts and dried fruits in the bulk bin. Get comfortable here; it is now your territory.
You'll probably have to venture into the interior for some staples like olive oil, but keep your blinders on. You're entering a museum of extravagant packaging and manipulative slogans. Few of the items you see in the store's interior promote good health; it's a stretch to call most of it "food."
The perimeter is also usually the home of the dairy case and the beer and wine display, so stay strong. Of course, if these are your biggest offenses, you could do a lot worse.
(source: www.bodybuilding.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment